CCJ-2020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: National Crime Victimization Survey, Motor Vehicle Theft, Uniform Crime Reports

31 views5 pages

Document Summary

Crime rates are important because they should, in theory, guide criminal justice policies. There are three main ways crime is measured in the united states: official statistics (ucr) (nibrs, victimization surveys (ncvs, self-report surveys, official statistics. Ucr reports on two types of offenses: part i, part ii drug offenses, driving under influence, simple assault, and many more that aren"t part i. Part 1 offenses: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, motor vehicle theft, arson. It provides a national picture of crime (because although not all jurisdictions send in their crime information--a lot do) * information derived from the section part i offenses (p. 40) Table 2-2: major crimes known to the police, 2014 (ucr/nibrs part i offenses) (p. 40) Because of the limitations of the ucr, the fbi developed the national incident based. National incident based reporting system: developed in 1988, administered by the fbi, fixed some of the issues of the ucr.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers