COM 3125 Lecture 11: COM Chapter 11

13 views3 pages
14 Mar 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Parent & child relational maintenance (responsibility & structure) Responsibility for relational maintenance shifts from vertical to horizontal to vertical over the lifetime. For most, this represents the longest lifetime relationship. The extent of the long term bond for siblings depends on the rm efforts. Four criteria: acknowledge existence of other person, affirming by responding relevantly, reflecting and accepting the other"s self-experience, suggesting a willingness to become involved. Acting in a way that demonstrates honor and care for another. Equality/mutuality: "horizontal relationship with respect and treating the other with value" Caring/supportive: "thoughtful, considerate, and designed to "lift up" another" "convey messages and meaning in emotionally powerful patterns. Reminds family members who they are and how much they care about each other. " Rituals can range from cultural connections to family specific everyday behaviors. Conscious repetition of actions and words that creates meanings (ex: mia couldn"t pronounce my name so she calls me dada and my whole family calls me dada)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers