SOC 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Neuropsychology, Collective Memory, Stonewall Riots

22 views2 pages

Document Summary

A social phenomenon is context dependent if it varies across different social contexts. Meaning are one way to understand how and why these phenomena vary. Metaphor used by malawian participants when describing the goal of sex. Contrast this with common u. s meanings of sex, usually revolving around penetration, friction and heat/warmth. Fi(cid:374)di(cid:374)gs are i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)gs (cid:448)ar(cid:455) a(cid:374)d the(cid:455) are(cid:374)"t (cid:374)atural, the (cid:449)a(cid:455) that people experience sexual desire are the same (if not its pathological) Denaturalizing sexual behavior the goal of having sex could be socially constructed. If the (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g of se(cid:454) is (cid:272)o(cid:374)te(cid:454)tuall(cid:455) depe(cid:374)de(cid:374)t, the(cid:374) . Ways of enacting sexual behavior are socially constructed. Sexual desire is rooted in social meaning, which is shared, not exclusively individual preference. Systems of power exert control even within our most intimate experiences. People are not rational actors when making decisions about condom use and/or sexual health reduction. Collective memory stories that we share that define the group for us.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers