PHILOS 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Panpsychism, Mental Property, Computational Theory Of Mind

10 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Type: something that underlies or categorizes certain things. Token: distinguishes individual things even if they are the same time. The mind and body are token-identical (substance dualism is false) This view is compatible with both reductive physicalism and property dualism. Any mental phenomena are explicable by physical terms. A mental state is type identical to a brain state. Any terms that refer to mental states (ex. Desires, beliefs) are meaningless and will be replaced by neurochemical terms. Psychology should be a natural science, like chemistry or physics, without any reference to hypothetical inner states (ex. Beliefs) or organisms as causes for their behavior. Mental concepts can be explained in terms of behavioral concepts, your mental state is nothing but overt behavior or dispositions to such behavior. When i "report" a pain, i am not really reporting anything, but. I am doing a sophisticated sort of wince. A mental property is an intentional property of a propositional attitude (ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers