HIST 1061 Lecture 13: Optimates vs Populares

23 views2 pages
9 Mar 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Optimates were the ones who said they had a long history of land ownership and continued to be the ruling class of rome. Popula(cid:396)es (cid:449)e(cid:396)e i(cid:374)te(cid:396)ested i(cid:374) the people"s (cid:271)est i(cid:374)te(cid:396)ests. Rome used puppet governments in north africa (controlled by rome but indirectly the people ran the individual territories). Each part was ruled by a different brother: east was ruled by jugurtha. Jugurtha wanted both sides so he invaded west nubia. Rome is afraid jugurtha is the next hannibal so they send their a-team. Sulla (cid:449)i(cid:374)s the (cid:449)a(cid:396) (cid:271)ut does not credit marius which creates major tensions. Marius starts more wars with cimbri/teutones to rebuild his credibility. Marius was the one who helped create legionary strategies. Marius creates a symbol to follow into battle, the famous golden eagle standards. Military leaders add numbers to these standards and soldiers become loyal to those numbers, not rome. It became a major deal to lose standards.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers