EPS 80 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Atmospheric Pressure, Antiscience, Radiometric Dating

60 views3 pages

Document Summary

98% of climate experts agree humans cause global warming. Anti-intellectual stance of some section and parties. Climate change is slower than we tend to notice. Issue is enhanced by poor science education. Here focus on the science and what it says. The state of the atmosphere at a given point of time. Climate is what you expect (rules of the game) Weather is what you get (roll of the dice) Measure climate: the present -> climatology, gather data (nasa) i. ii. Via instrumentation, satellites: works for the past ~200 years i. Very short on geological scale: produce evidence of climate change through time, maps, graphs, data sets, the past- paleoclimatology, get evidence of past climates proxy data from i. ii. Fossils- particularly marine plankton and corals pollen record temp info, climate shifts. Effect for up to last 140 ma better for last 5ma iii. Good for 250+k years maybe 1. 5 mil years: reliable , repeating methods for telling time i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers