HIST 1088 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Harki, Guerrilla Warfare, Gillo Pontecorvo

26 views2 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

1950s-1970s: more than 50 new countries in africa. Argument: the algerian war of independence had a lasting impact not only on the new nation but als0 on france itself, where the divisive effects of the war raised questions about. French identity and french-arab relations: the legitimacy of armed struggle: frantz fanon, france in algeria a. i. Ruler of algiers strikes french consul with fly swatter a. ii. 1848: algeria becomes part of france a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. Caveat, arabs are french nationalists, but not french: colonial algerian society citizens b. i. Terms: european settlers = colons or pieds noirs b. iii. Political, economic and social control in colons" hands c. French: called for rehabilitation through reinvigorated empire c. iii. Nov 1, 1954: front de liberation nationale (fln) declares war on. Advocates use of violence to achieve independence d. iv. Most influential work: the wretched of the earth (1961: the battle of algiers and public opinion, algerian war of independence: 1954 -1962 a. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers