COM 3078 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Proxemics, Eye Contact, Kinesics

41 views2 pages

Document Summary

Nonverbal: all intentional and unintentional (leaked) messages that are neither spoken, nor written. Difficult to interpret (contextual, cultural, personal factors) Symbolic, regulators (i. e. control), affect displays (i. e. Symbolic, regulators (i. e. control), affect displays (i. e. emotions), illistrators. It"s not what you say, it"s how you say it. Tone, inflection, number of vocal pauses, accent, pitch, volume, quality of voice. Any one of these variables change the meaning of the sentence. Seating has a direct impact on interaction and influence. Leaders should choose less status positions to imply equality. The way a person perceive and value time. The way time vibrates or constricts an individual. Lateness takes the power from the people waiting. Ties into power, and how power can be communicated. Tasks are scheduled one at the time, scheduling things for the future, Time for, the american viewpoint, is tangible thing. In polychromic cultures, emphasis is more on relationship. Things will get done on their own time.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers