NTRI 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Reactive Hypoglycemia, Diabetes Mellitus Type 1

56 views7 pages
28 Apr 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Nutrigenomics: study of how food impacts health through its interaction with genes and its b. subsequent effect on gene expression. Includes how genes affect out nutritional requirements and our susceptibility to nutritionally related diseases. Carbohydrates: main fuel source for some of the body"s cells a. i. Brain nerve cells red blood cells and exercising muscle a. ii. Brain has almost an entire reliance on glucose: sources if carbohydrate in the body, more than 50% b. i. Liver glycogen (storage forms of energy in body) (polymer of glucose: about 50 % or more of our calories comes form carbohydrates, cn(h2o)n, carbon cycle e. i. Co2+h2o+light cn(h2o)n + o2 (plants photosynthesis) e. ii. Cn(h2o)n +o2 energy + co2 + h2o (animals metabolism) f. Simple carbohydrates: monosaccharides- mono means one, this is the basic unit of all the carbohydrate structure a. i. Glucose, fructose, and galactose: disaccharides- di means two formed by the chemical bonding of two monosaccharides b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers