SOSC 2800 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Statism

32 views2 pages

Document Summary

The command economy: based on marxism, promise of social justice and equality, atte(cid:373)pt to (cid:271)reak the periphery"s depe(cid:374)de(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:448)is- -vis the core, state centralized economy, ussr, china, cuba, east-germany, many success but many weaknesses too. Latin-american statism: government owns strategic industries, nationalizations, subsidies to the private sector. Import substituting industrialization (isi: massive rural migration, mixed results. Impressive economic growth since the mid-1960s: relatively equitable, based on the free market, key role of the government, targeted policies, export-oriented industrialization. Sosc 2800 - development in comparative and historical perspective october 17, 2016. Import substituting industrialization: alliance of the state, local industrialists, and blue collars, taxes on foreign imports + subsidies for local products, used by latin american countries but also elsewhere. Inefficient: costly, inefficient, and hurts the poor: capital heavy industries, new kind of dependence. Export-oriented industrialization: tarted (cid:449)ith i i (cid:271)ut , quickly removed protectionist measures, (cid:862) (cid:449)i(cid:373) or die(cid:863) strategy. Incentives for export: favorable international context, demographic context.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers