SOSC 2652 Lecture 14: Criminal Prosecutions I

32 views3 pages

Document Summary

Criminal prosecutions i: finish up overview: structure of the courts, key regular players : prosecutor and defense counsel, issues in court i: plea bargaining, issues in court ii: pre-trial detention (into next lecture) Treatment and rehabilitation (vs. traditional legal and adversarial) Judges appointed and paid for by federal government. May also hear appeals of summary conviction trials at provincial or territorial courts. **in other provinces, the provincial superior courts have different names. Hear only appeals of criminal and non-criminal cases. Decisions are binding on all courts in that province. Only hears appeals from provincial courts of appeal. Ex. of case (not necessarily criminological): patents on life canola seed. Again, appealed by supreme court of canada striking down all 3 laws (2013) Decision appealed by government of ontario (ontario government of appeal) 17-18th centuries, prosecutions private; compensate not punish. Undertaken by the state/breaches against the crown. Dual role (contradictory: minister of justice (impartial, player in adversarial process (vested interest)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers