PSYC 2120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Explanatory Style

16 views1 pages
1 Feb 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Observer: is inclined to attribute actions, especially highly distinctive ones to properties of the actor. (such as personality traits and abilities) Actor: inclined to attribute actions to situational factors. People make causal attributions because they need to draw infrences about others (and themselves) in order to make predictions about future behavior. Attribution theory: the study of how people understand the causes of events. Explanatory style: refers to a person"s habitual way of explaining events, typically assessed across three dimensions: Internal/external: due to other people/circumstances: stable/unstable: will be present again in the future or not, global/specific: is something that influences other areas in their life or just one. Internal: an explanation the mentions an internal cause implicates the self ( there i go again ) External: an external cause does not. ( that was the pickiest set of questions i"ve ever seen ) Stable: implies that something will never change. ( i"m just not good at this )

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers