63 views2 pages
30 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
PSYC 2110 Lecture 10 Notes
Introduction
Possessions
Not all early societies treated their children as harshly as the citizens of Carthage, Rome,
and Sparta.
Yet fo seeal etuies CE, hilde ee ieed as fail possessios ho had o
rights (Hart, 1991) and whom parents were free to exploit as they saw fit.
I Euope, it as’t util the th etu CE that legislatio euated ifatiide ith
murder (deMause, 1974)! Children fared a little better during the medieval era.
Medieal hilde ee ot oddled o idulged to the etet that toda’s hilde ae.
They were often dressed in miniature versions of adult clothing and were depicted in
artwork working alongside adults in the shop or the field, or drinking and carousing with
adults at parties.
And except for exempting very young children from criminal culpability, medieval law
generally made no distinctions between childhood and adult offences (Borstelmann,
1983; Kean, 1937).
But childhood was generally recognized as a distinct phase of life, and children were
thought to have certain needs above and beyond those of adults (see Borstelmann,
1983; Cunningham, 1996; Kroll, 1977).
Toward Modern-Day Views on Childhood During the 17th and 18th centuries, attitudes
toward children and child rearing began to change.
Religious leaders of that era stressed that children were innocent and helpless souls
who should be shielded from the wild and reckless behaviour of adults.
One method of accomplishing this objective was to send young people to school.
Although the primary purpose of schooling was to provide a proper moral and religious
education, it was now recognized that teaching important subsidiary skills such as
eadig ad itig ould tasfo the ioets ito seats ad okes ho
ould poide soiet ith a good lao foe Aies, 96, p. .
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class