PHIL 2025 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Cartesian Doubt, Solidity

61 views3 pages
17 Nov 2014
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The material for knowledge are ideas understood as that which his (sic) mind is employed about whilst thinking > (essay i. ii) Sensation: our observation employed about external sensible objects (ii. i. 2) Reflection: our observation employed about the internal operations of our minds, perceived and reflected on by ourselves (ibid) An original source of ideas grounded in the operations of the external senses. Not something we do, rather something done to us. Passive (ii. i. 25: in the reception of simple ideas most heard passive . External sense organs convey something to the brain (the mind"s presence- room" (ii. iii. 1: a presence room is where one has an audience with the sovereign. In the presence room" produced those ideas we get from sensation. Sensation involves impression of motion of the body (ii. 1. 23) Presumably an effect the external material objects have on the organ. Notice: the sense organs do not convey ideas". Rather, the ideas" are produce in the mind as a consequence of something else.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers