HUMA 1905 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Second-Wave Feminism, Mary Wollstonecraft, Gender Role

47 views6 pages

Document Summary

Frankenstein may be considered the first feminist sci-fi stor(cid:455). Interesting to note, the only strong-independent female character in the story is safie, the foreigner whom felix falls in love with (felix: the eldest son of the family living in the woods). She flees her father and travels out of her country to geneva in order to pursue her love for felix and avoid an arranged marriage. The creature in the story only becomes a monster because of bad parenting (a feminist issue?). He never associates with the females in his life in a human way. He(cid:859)s al(cid:449)a(cid:455)s pai(cid:374)ti(cid:374)g the(cid:373) i(cid:374) this light of fe(cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:374)it(cid:455) pure, delicate, and submissive to his whims. He never speaks up for the women who fall victim to the creature (an allusion to a child lashing out because o(cid:374)e of its pare(cid:374)t figures does(cid:374)(cid:859)t (cid:272)are for the(cid:373)? (cid:895). There are no published or known female sci-fi writers before the feminist movement.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers