EECS 1520 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: William Oughtred, Claude Shannon, Enigma Machine

61 views4 pages
mahika.c06 and 40040 others unlocked
EECS 1520 Full Course Notes
EECS 1520 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
54 documents

Document Summary

George bool (1815-1864: laid logical foundations of digital computing circuitry, also, invariant theory later used by einstein in his theory of relativity. Inventor: used in science and engineering, replaced by electronic pocket calculator around 1974. It was the most sophisticated code system of its day: priority for the allies to break it as the germans believed it was unbreakable, turing broke this code. Turing and his colossus: made an electronic computing machine in 1943 to help decrypt german coded messages, many believe this advanced the end of the war by 2 years. Ibm harvard mark i (1944: howard aiken and thomas watson. It was 51 feet long, 5 tons and had 750 000 parts. Von neumann architecture: stored program, binary internal coding, cpu-memory-i/o organization, fetch-decode-execute instruction cycle, neumann proposed that data and production can be in same storage. Univac, i: first commercial general-purpose computer, built by mauchly and eckert, delivered in 1951, used to forecast the 1952 us election.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers