BIOL 4380 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Bony Labyrinth, Vestibulocochlear Nerve, Semicircular Canals

58 views2 pages
March 1st
Chapters for the midterm: 9, 11, 13, 14 and 15.
Vestiular sste → allos to fous our gaze oto soethig, ee ith oig our head.
Also it helps us be able to move our heads without snapping our neck! It also helps us protect
ourseles if e’re fallig. Whe fallig, lis ill e positioed i a a as to protet our od.
A lot of terminology you will have to know for midterm 2!
Vestibular system is very closely linked to our auditory system. The structure contiguous with
ohlea sharig its edolph, is alled the estiular larith it’s a sa of iteroeted
chambers), the labyrinth and the cochlea have the same embryonic origin. The labyrinth uses
hair cells sensing the motion, very similar to the hair cells in the cochlea.
Translational and rotational movement of the head,
o Translational movement: when the head moves back and forth or left and right.
o Rotational movement: your head rotating or your body moving.
Labyrinth is fairly deeply hidden inside the temporal bone of the skull. There are 2 otolith
organs: utricle and saccule. These are sacs filled with endolymph. They are connected by 3
semicircular canals (superior, posterior and horizontal). Why are there 3 of them? To sense
motions in the 3 dimensional space, along 3 axes.
There are 3 structures where the canals meet the otolith, called the ampullae. Both the otolith
and ampullae have hair cells in them.
The canal that connects cochlea to labyrinth are called canal reuniens.
The nerve fibers that innervate both the cochlea and the labyrinth come largely through the
raial ere VIII → splits ito the auditor part ieratig ohlea ad estiular part
(innervating the labyrinth). Ignore facial nerve.
All structures are filled with endolymph.
The canals largely detect rotations and the otolith organs detect translations of your head.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapters for the midterm: 9, 11, 13, 14 and 15: vesti(cid:271)ular s(cid:455)ste(cid:373) allo(cid:449)s to fo(cid:272)us (cid:455)our gaze o(cid:374)to so(cid:373)ethi(cid:374)g, e(cid:448)e(cid:374) (cid:449)ith (cid:373)o(cid:448)i(cid:374)g (cid:455)our head. Also it helps us be able to move our heads without snapping our neck! The structure contiguous with (cid:272)o(cid:272)hlea (cid:894)shari(cid:374)g its e(cid:374)dol(cid:455)(cid:373)ph(cid:895), is (cid:272)alled the (cid:448)esti(cid:271)ular la(cid:271)(cid:455)ri(cid:374)th (cid:894)it"s a sa(cid:272) of i(cid:374)ter(cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:374)e(cid:272)ted chambers), the labyrinth and the cochlea have the same embryonic origin. Labyrinth is fairly deeply hidden inside the temporal bone of the skull. There are 2 otolith organs: utricle and saccule. They are connected by 3 semicircular canals (superior, posterior and horizontal). To sense motions in the 3 dimensional space, along 3 axes: there are 3 structures where the canals meet the otolith, called the ampullae. Ignore facial nerve: all structures are filled with endolymph, the canals largely detect rotations and the otolith organs detect translations of your head. In the exam, he might give a schematic figure for you to write the terminology.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers