BIOL 2030 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Osmoregulation, Body Cavity, Sponge

83 views4 pages
18 Jan 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Topic 1: outline animal architecture (chapter 3: levels of organization, organ systems and extracellular components, tissue types, body plans, body plans. Basic body plans are pretty similar even though the organism is in a different phylum. Can categorize animals based on body plans by some characteristics, they include: symmetry ho(cid:449) the a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s (cid:271)ody can be divided into two equal parts. (i) (ii) Asymmetry no body axis and no plane of symmetry. Unicellular eukaryotes: amoeba, poriferans (sponges: body axis imaginary reference lines, which are used in anatomy to describe orientation and location of anatomical structures. E. g. anterior to posterior, ventral to dorsal: plane of symmetry a plane that divides into two parts that are mirror images of each other. Any plane passing through center divides body equally. These organisms lack polarity (i. e. no differentiation along an axis, therefore no body axis) (iii) Unicellular eukaryotes that display this are: radiolarians. Divided equally by more than two plates passing through the longitudinal axis.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers