BIOL 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 30: Dichromacy, Trichromacy, Electromagnetic Spectrum

61 views20 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Light and life: electromagnetic radiation is measured in wavelength and nanometers. Light can also damage biological molecules such as dna (ultraviolet light) I(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals su(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:448)e o(cid:396) do(cid:374)"t su(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:448)e populations evolve: selection is directed by circumstances (environment) - as circumstances change, so may the direction of evolution. Mtoc cell centre: microtubules grow at the cap end, the loss of the gtp cap: catastrophe, results in rapid shrinkage, regain of the cap: rescue, results in rapid growth with the gtp-capped end. Isolated system: no energy exchange, no matter exchange (the universe: closed system: energy exchange, no matter exchange (the earth, open system: energy exchange, matter exchange (the cell) Increase in molecular random motion (through heat: entropy increases while enthalpy decreases and vice versa. Activated carrier molecules: transfer energy between molecules diphosphate. Allosteric activators bind to the allosteric site on an enzyme inducing a shape change in the active site: can be either allosteric activation or inhibition depending on the enzyme.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers