12 Apr 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Chapter 10: Information and Value Creation
Informing Consumer about a products benefits is referred to as disclosure
The Shopping Problem
The osue’s shoppig pole is to fid poduts with the highest C“. This poess is alled
seahig.
Search can happen sequentially (reviewing one product at a time) or simultaneously (learning about all
products at once). Under sequential search, search costs tend to be higher. It takes more time and
effort. Also, it tends to not achieve the highest CS possible.
As a consumer looks at more products sequentially, costs rise. Eventually costs are really high and the
osues. Just settle fo a C“ that eets iiu euieets
Or they enter with a CS in mind and settle with the first one.
As sequential search goes on, consumers, consumers beliefs about CS change and can lead to
lower/higher benefits
Simultaneous search is fast with lower costs
The rate of technology (i.e. internet) has shrunk the difference between the two methods significantly.
Information is only useful is consumers can obtain, interpret, and understand the information.
We a lassify goods aodig to osue’s aess to ifoatio
1) Search Goods
a. Products where consumers can easily obrain information and compare it to alternatives
(i.e. gasoline, etc.)
2) Experience goods
a. Consumers cannot easily capture information between products. Usually rely on
information from others
b. Usually learn the values of product after purchase (i.e. cars, houses, restaurants)
3) Credence Goods
a. Consumers have little accessto information to compare quality is still unknown after
purchase (i.e. auto repairs, supplements, etc.)
b. One thing for sure is that information and disclosure is valuable to firms. More
information means higher change of purchase
Unraveling
In theory, all firms want to disclose information about quality. Even the worst
Suppose there are 10 firms producing a product and each frim has different qualities.
If no firms disclose quality, consumers are expected to evenly distribute between the 10 firms
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Informing consumer about a products benefits is referred to as disclosure. The (cid:272)o(cid:374)su(cid:373)e(cid:396)"s shoppi(cid:374)g p(cid:396)o(cid:271)le(cid:373) is to fi(cid:374)d p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)ts with the highest c . Search can happen sequentially (reviewing one product at a time) or simultaneously (learning about all products at once). Under sequential search, search costs tend to be higher. Also, it tends to not achieve the highest cs possible. As a consumer looks at more products sequentially, costs rise. Eventually costs are really high and the (cid:272)o(cid:374)su(cid:373)e(cid:396)s. just (cid:862)settle(cid:863) fo(cid:396) a c that (cid:373)eets (cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:373)u(cid:373) (cid:396)e(cid:395)ui(cid:396)e(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts. Or they enter with a cs in mind and settle with the first one. As sequential search goes on, consumers, consumers beliefs about cs change and can lead to lower/higher benefits. The rate of technology (i. e. internet) has shrunk the difference between the two methods significantly. Information is only useful is consumers can obtain, interpret, and understand the information.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers