CS100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Ascus, Human Condition, Orality

13 views3 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Writing is among the greatest inventions in human history, perhaps the greatest invention since it made history possible. It made the growth of states large than the old city states possible. The command of the priest or king and his seal could go far and beyond his sight and voice and could survive his death: propaganda. Immortality/history: record keeping, agreements on record, state maintenance. Humans transcend: space and time, represent yourself to generations not born yet. Other scripts look familiar even though we cant read them, like left to right. No(cid:374) pho(cid:374)eti(cid:272) s(cid:272)ripts su(cid:272)h as sy(cid:373)(cid:271)ols, e(cid:373)oji(cid:859)s, hieroglyphics, instructions, asci art, shorthand. Some familiarities within the alphabets between other scripts. In an oral culture, to think through something in non-formulaic non-patterned non-mnemonic terms, even if it were. Interiority of sound (cid:858)you (cid:272)a(cid:374) i(cid:373)(cid:373)erse yourself i(cid:374) heari(cid:374)g, i(cid:374) sou(cid:374)d there is (cid:374)o (cid:449)ay to immerse yourself similarly in sight(cid:859). Is this the moment the most important moment of all time.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers