CC202 Lecture 9: School Shootings

36 views4 pages
2 Dec 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

School shootings/school violence is not a recent development. Violence has existed as long as there has been schools: since early 20th century. Schools have not been immune to instances of violence in the past. However, there has been an increase in rampage school shootings in recent years: random, rural/suburban schools. 3 explanations of school shootings: risk. Attempts to answer what kind of person becomes a school shooter. Might exhibit signs of depression, be victims of bullying, be resentful, be isolated, interest in violent media/weapons. However, lots of people display these warning signs" and do not commit school shootings. Might further marginalize particular individuals: psychological. However explanations of mental illness often come out after the shooting. Psychopathic shooters: no emotional connection to others, no remorse/guilt, i. e. Psychotic shooters: hear voices, disconnected from reality, i. e. Traumatized shooters: experienced some sort of abuse/trauma, i. e. Gun culture how easy it is to get access to a gun.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers