AR101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: A. E. Douglass, Pinyon Pine, Piltdown Man

19 views4 pages

Document Summary

Dating techniques are procedures used by scientists to determine the age of a specimen or past events. Ad a(cid:374)(cid:374)o do(cid:373)i(cid:374)i (cid:862)i(cid:374) the year of our lord(cid:863) Relative dating methods tell only if one specimen is older or younger than another. Dates are expressed relative to one and another rather than in absolute terms e. g. earlier, later, more recent. Index fossils, strata containing similar fossil assemblages are of similar age. Time markers, artifacts shown to be diagnostic of a particular time period. The index fossil concept was introduced to archaeology by swede oscar montelius (1843-1921). He divided the european neolithic, bronze and iron ages into chronological subdivisions each with its own distinctive artifacts and artifact styles. Relative dating time markers north american example. American, nels nelson selects san cristobal, new mexico a deep site with may stratigraphic layers to investigate the changing sequence of artifact types. Battleship curves artifact frequencies presented diagrammatically.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers