AR101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Mill Creek Chert, Mousterian, Grave Goods

17 views3 pages

Document Summary

Outline: social archaeology, systems perspective, middle range theory, analogy, and archaeological data. Started to look at a reflection that there are issues that we need to address. Social inequality as it relates to i. e. gender, ethnicity, status, class, and age. Shift from description to explanation of cultural change. From archaeology we see the descriptions that are describing these cultures and try to identify changes. Recognition of patterns reflecting past social dynamics. Past human social groups exhibit social diversity in. i. e. artifact production, use, discard. Repetitive association in distinctive material culture reflects activities of specific social groups i. e. mortuary remains, settlement patter, monuments and public works, written records. All of the above are markers of social identity. Analogy and inference to interpret social organization and social relations. The idea is to enter analysis on different levels. For the individual: ultimately we are trying to see their patterns. A product of both innate human nature and of individual experience and environment.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers