Psychology 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Unconscious Mind, Collective Unconscious, Unconsciousness

40 views13 pages
abdullah32 and 39352 others unlocked
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
111 documents

Document Summary

What is consciousness: a(cid:449)are(cid:374)ess of i(cid:374)ter(cid:374)al (cid:894)e(cid:454). Consciousness is: subjective and private, dynamic (ever changing, self-reflecting (central to our sense of self mind is aware of its own consciousness, selective attention (unlimited possibilities) William james (cid:862) trea(cid:373) of co(cid:374)scious(cid:374)ess(cid:863) (4 of his main theses: 1. Every state is part of a personal consciousness: each mind keeps its thoughts to itself. In this room -- this lecture-room, say -- there are a multitude of thoughts, yours and mine, some of which cohere mutually, and some not. They are as little each- for-itself and reciprocally independent as they are all-belonging-together. They are neither: no one of them is separate, but each belongs with certain others and with none beside. My thought belongs with my other thoughts, and your thought with your other thoughts: 2. Within each personal consciousness states are always changing: no state once gone can recur and be identical with what it was before.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers