PSYC 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Creatures Of Half-Life, Stanley Milgram, Cognitive Dissonance

14 views5 pages
10 Nov 2020
School
Department
Course
Professor
kathanjani01 and 38932 others unlocked
PSYC 101 Full Course Notes
PSYC 101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
55 documents

Document Summary

Social psychology: study of how people influence behaviours, beliefs and attitudes of other. Attitudes: positive/negative evaluations of objects of thought such as: People, social issues, groups : cognitive component (beliefs, ideas) i think that gun owners blab la, affective component (emotions, feelings) i don"t like it , behavioural component (predisposition to act). Our behaviour is shaped by how others expect us to behave. Hotels and restaurants said they would not serve chinese guests but when they meet the guests in person they find them more likeable than expected. Recognition: we believe something we"ve heard many times. helps us to make more accurate judgements. It serves us good because what we hear from ppl are usually true and it. Our personalities influence our attitudes e. g, towards religion, political views. Cognitive dissonance theory: we alter our attitudes because we experience state of tension from 2+ conflict thoughts. My health is important but you eat junk food.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers