NEST 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Landscape Archaeology, Sunken Lane, Dur-Sharrukin

46 views3 pages

Document Summary

Remote sensing: the use of satellite images in archaeology. Mapping landscapes in northern mesopotamia - tell sites and hollow ways" from the. Corona images of the neo-assyrian cities of khorsabad and nimrud, and what they tell us. Read course material #6, #7, and #8. Used diagnostic pottery of the early dynastic i period. Very distinct to a certain time period because pottery is very sensitive to chronology (styles change). If similar pottery types were found on the surface of a site, we knew it would have been occupied during the ed i period. Noted that settlement patterns change through time, and they corresponded to the changes in the rivers. Water was essential for irrigation, especially in southern iraq. Noted there were very few large cities - mostly small settlements during ed i. This is because there used to be a wide variety of water sources. As time went on, there were fewer, so everyone grouped together in big cities.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers