RS110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Immanuel Kant, Cartesianism, Maimonides

78 views10 pages

Document Summary

The enlightenment: modern period: 1789-1989, 1789 = french revolution (fall of bastille, 1989 = fall of berlin wall, aka the enlightenment , enlightenment impacted all of western world, including religion. Intellectual turn toward the subject or the self . Industrial revolution, development of technology, universities, science all developed following enlightenment: the increase in intellectual autonomy led to less control/autonomy of the church and other bodies, heteronomy vs. autonomy, law of someone else vs. own law. I-thou/i-you experiences: occurs when god becomes tangible/real, occurs when people say they have a deep religious experience, not the norm, but when they happen, we can know god to a certain, leopold marx degree. I-thou experience opens up our life in terms of relationship with. God: business man, philosophically and theologically educated, founder of academic institutions with buber, translated some of tanakh into german with extensive commentaries, prof is related to him distantly; visited him in israel in 1979.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers