GEOG101 Lecture 4: Chapter 3 Mobility and Migration

29 views2 pages

Document Summary

Migration: permanent relocation (more-or-less, usually long-distance, can be international or domestic/international, mobility: the capacity to move from one place to another, either permanently or temporarily. Measuring migration: gross migration: total number of people that leave and enter a country (province, region, etc. , out-migration: total number of people who leave a country (emigration) In-migration: the total number of people who arrive in a country (immigration: net migration: the difference (enter - leave) International migration - voluntary & forced: one country to another. Internal migration - voluntary & forced: within a country. Push factors i. economic; education; escaping hardship (war, natural disaster, environmental damage) ii. climate change - changes their ability to live in that area iii. earthquake in pakistan iv. unemployment in morocco, people are going to spain. higher salaries i. greater opportunities ii. better living standards iii. education facilities iv. liberty. forced/involuntary: war (leave or die, slavery, famine, natural disaster. E. g. flood, hurricane i. reluctant relocation: war (risk of death, ethnic cleansing.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers