BIOL354 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Heavy Metals, Arsenic, Thallium

73 views5 pages

Document Summary

Inorganic pollutants are one of the major classes of environmental pollutants. Metal bioavailability and toxicity affected by chemical speciation. Metals can be required, toxic, or both: depends on metal and concentration. Metals with greater density of iron heavy metals. Many metals are required by organisms (ie. iron, copper, zinc//"d". ) Essential metals can be incorporated into macromolecules or . may act as enzyme cofactor. Classifications based on binding of metal to ligands. Associate with: sulphydryls (-sh), disulphites (-s-s), thioethers (-s-r), and amines (-nh2) Human activity greatly contributed to increase in metal levels in environment metal more bioavailable (alters distribution and availability) Because metals are not biodegradable they persist in the environment. Weathering of metal-bearing rock and soil plays role in distribution. Yellowknofe"s giant mine clean up costs to double. Giant mine operated as gold mine from 1940s to 2004. To release gold, ore roasted at extremely high temperatures. Result of how gold was mined at the site during gold roasting process.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers