COMM 105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Labeling Theory, Confirmation Bias, Machismo

58 views10 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 3: perceiving ourselves and others in organizations. Changing self and other perceptions of female firefighters: Emily macdonald (shown) attended camp ffit in ottawa, a program that helps teenage girls develop a self-concept as firefighters, develop their self-esteem, and dispel the occupation"s macho stereotype. Why it matters: promotes diversity and individual identity. Theoretical background: labelling theory fulfilling prophecy, social identity theory diversity. Sense of purpose becoming motivated and committed. Why it matters: labelling theory stigma fulfilling prophecy, self-esteem & efficacy: fulfilling one"s career ambition, keep in check: organizational discrimination. An individual"s self-beliefs and self-evaluations: who am i? and how do i feel about myself? . Compare perceived job with our perceived and ideal selves: having the ability, having the motivation. Includes three self-concept characteristics and four selves processes. What guides people"s ideas and actions self-concept: personality, where is this coming from, social norms, questioning things. Complexity: our self-view has many distinct, important roles/identities, high complexity: many identities but little overlap/connection.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers