SOC 3750 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Risk Society, Predictive Policing, Dna Polymerase Epsilon

51 views3 pages

Document Summary

What is risk: risk is a situation or an event where something of human value (including you) is at stake and where the outcome is uncertain. Risk and uncertainty are always intertwined or co present. Risk engages the past and the future (reflecting on past knowledge to interpret the future consequences) Sometime expressed formally as a probability (we it appears scientific we tend to see it as viable info) Risk is a value laden social construction because. It reflects what individuals, groups and societies value. Power struggle over what is an acceptable risk and what requires action (arguing over the threshold) Peter ma(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g (cid:862)risk is a produ(cid:272)t of i(cid:373)agi(cid:374)atio(cid:374), (cid:272)o(cid:374)stru(cid:272)ted (cid:271)(cid:455) those i(cid:374) po(cid:449)er, e(cid:454)perts (cid:449)ith various skills using databases of diverse sorts and shifted and transformed within society by po(cid:449)er a(cid:374)d authorit(cid:455)(cid:863) Consistently more preoccupied with risks in society. The late modern world is a risk society. The industrial capitalism generates risk in the name of progress.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers