SOC 3490 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Major Crimes, Sleep Deprivation, Sting Operation

81 views3 pages

Document Summary

Ovl: sees the law as impartial: think that the government gives too many rights to the accused (cid:858)just a slap o(cid:374) the (cid:449)rist(cid:859) for (cid:373)ajor (cid:272)ri(cid:373)es. Defining wrongful convictions: people put into jail for crimes they did not commit, the court should get it right when convicting but lots of times they do not. People most likely to be targets: we think poor people because they cannot afford legal representation, but many rich individuals as well. Some people confess to crimes they did not do: people with mental illnesses, homeless. I(cid:374) the states, the da just (cid:449)a(cid:374)ts to get a (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:272)tio(cid:374) to (cid:862)(cid:449)i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e for the state,(cid:863) a(cid:374)d it looks good on them if they win. Dna can often clear them from the case, some dna is exonerated or tampered with. Very complex, the state does not want to admit that they are wrong. Done through: live line-ups, photo spreads, mugshots, composites.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers