SOC 2070 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Sexual Fetishism, Norm (Social), Homicide

25 views3 pages

Document Summary

Objectivist theories: deviance= characteristics of act or person. Things like drinking, contact sports: some things are deviant but not harmful i. e. smoking pot, sexual fetishes. Is there a threshold: many things are rare but not deviant i. e. winning the lottery, many things are common and deviant i. e. underage drinking. Objectivist theories (cid:862)co(cid:373)(cid:373)o(cid:374) se(cid:374)se(cid:863) its been passed down to us as to what deviance is: there are inconsistencies. Institutions have a very strong influence on defining deviance (i. e. the government and the church: example: government has been anti-marijuana for decades. Interactional: what do people say to each-other and how they say it. If everything is a label/interpretation, how can something not be deviant in nature: subjectivist theories run the risk of convincing society that everything is fair game. Blending subjective and objective: violates social norms but norms are a product of social relations. Theories of deviance: recall: a set of genera propositions meant to explain social phenomena.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers