SOC 1100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Status Group, Hidden Curriculum, Mass Media

16 views2 pages

Document Summary

Socializaion: lifelong social experience by which individuals develop their human potenial and learn culture. Personality: person"s fairly consistent paterns of thinking, feeling, and acing. Role of nature: iniially, linked cultural diferences to biology. Role of nurture: behaviourism holding that behaviour is not insincive but learned. 2: lawrence kohlberg, carol gilligan, george herbert mead. Theory of social self*: develops from social interacion, experience is the exchange of symbols, imagining situaions from others point of view, becoming self-aware: erik h. erikson. Others represent a mirror in which we see ourselves. Self image is based on how we think others see us (compliments or harassment) Mead"s i and me: the i (subjecive element) in constant interplay with the me (objecive element) Play: taking the roles of signiicant others (like parents) Games: taking the roles of several others at once and following the rules. Generalized other: widespread cultural norms and values we use as reference in evaluaing ourselves.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers