PSYC 4750 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Memory Consolidation, Parasympathetic Nervous System, Sympathetic Nervous System

27 views7 pages

Document Summary

Arousal: mobilization or activation of energy in preparation or while performing a behaviour, early theory saw arousal as on a continuum. Arousal and performance: the yerkes dodson law. Sleep: much is known about the sleep process. Restore: problem: as we age rem sleep declines. Organize the brain: rem sleep may set up young brains, which is why babies spend so much time in rem sleep. Re-program our brain: rem sleep is i(cid:374)(cid:272)orporati(cid:374)g the day"s i(cid:374)for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) i(cid:374)to the (cid:271)rai(cid:374) Consolidate memories: study: strengthening individual memories by reactivating them during sleep. Transformation of memory item into a long- term form. Period of sleep between encoding and retrieval can benefit memory storage. Direct effect of sleep on consolidation of memories is still unclear. Image of an object paired with a sound. Object appears at the center of screen; participants place it in the original location. Sound cues during sleep prompted preferential processing of corresponding object-location associations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers