PSYC 4600 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Visual Perception, Physical Data Model, Extrastriate Cortex

15 views7 pages

Document Summary

Voluntary: how our internal goals guide what information will win the competition for perceptual awareness/representation. Involuntary: attention driven by the physical properties of the stimuli in our visual environment, the stimuli themselves rather than what we may tell our brains to attend to. Pop-out effect: a stimuli grabbing attention immediately in a group of stimuli, unique (cid:396)elati(cid:448)e to it"s e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t due to diffe(cid:396)e(cid:374)(cid:272)es i(cid:374) (cid:272)olour, brightness, etc. , this salient information takes priority. In an evolutionary sense, it makes sense to pay attention to things that stand out: compared to visual search tasks (a heterogeneous search environment) where there are no single stimuli that stand out. Mutual suppression no one thing will in particular capture attention (ie. in a heterogeneous environment) Salient (unique) objects will capture attention automatically and win the competition for perceptual representation!, everything else is suppressed. No one thing popping out, e(cid:448)e(cid:396)(cid:455)thi(cid:374)g i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e slide, (cid:455)ou"d e(cid:454)pe(cid:272)t to see supp(cid:396)essio(cid:374)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers