PSYC 3110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Smoke Detector, Margaret Mead, Decision Rule

32 views1 pages

Document Summary

Outline lecture 5 game theory + emotions & optimality. Why use it: four examples of simple games: Positively frequency-dependent fitness: bi-stable equilibrium: evolutionarily stable strategies (ess, the problem of altruism, in class simulation (the prisoner"s dilemma) (the reading applies game theory towards the evolution of conflict) B: emotions: optimality: emotions as proximate mechanisms to fulfill some function. Optimal level of an emotion: too little isn"t effective, too much carries other costs: smoke detector principle (a. k. a. error management, signal detection) If we have time (i. e. not enough questions), i"ll cover the following: C: universality of emotions: evidence for universality of emotions, denial of human universals within (some) of the social sciences. The fateful hoaxing of margaret mead (i. e. she went seeking evidence against. Human nature , but her classic data against human universality were based on deliberate misinformation provided by her participants basically she got fibbed by her participants, among other things.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers