PSYC 3100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Inclusive Fitness, Donner Party, Horse Collar

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

Altruism effect engaging in altruism, reduces lifetime fitness of individual. Lifetime fitness in cost of the actor, decreases lifetime of reproductive success. From gene perspective helping a copy of itself that is in another body helps still to pass on the genes. Direct fitness: the effect on the individuals actors reproduction. Indirect fitness: the reproduction of the actors kins fitness. Inclusive fitness: my reproduction and the reproduction of my kin. Coefficient of relatedness: for any given gene(s), the probability that the recipient has the gene(s) identical by descent from recent common ancestor. The equation is for what natural selection will favor, does not say all individuals will behave this way. Id give my life for 2 brothers or 8 cousins . Humans will possess psychological mechanisms that produce behaviour that is effectively nepotism (benefit to one"s own family) Humans should be sensitive to the relatedness of others (or reasonable cues of it) when deciding to help.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers