PHIL 2280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Montgomery Bus Boycott, Fundamental Justice

38 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lecture dr. martin luther king jr"s letter from a birmingham city jail . Letter from a birmingham city jail: addressed to white moderates, including christian ministers, organized as a series of responses to critics, civil disobedience relies on the underlying justice" of the system. If there is no fundamental justice to appeal to, the aim of justice would require revolution rather than (mere) civil disobedience. Police violence vs. protester violence: nonviolence demands that the means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek. So i have tried to make it clear that it is wrong to use immoral means to attain moral ends. But now i must affirm that it is just as wrong, or even more so, to use moral means to preserve immoral ends (1208) Mlk"s responses to critics: outsiders coming in: I am in birmingham because injustice is here (1200) Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere : you deplore the demonstrations.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers