MICR 2420 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Heterotroph, Lithoautotroph, Crystal Violet

60 views4 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 3 (cid:862)build a bacteria cell workship: (cid:858)outer me(cid:373)(cid:271)ra(cid:374)e(cid:859) optio(cid:374): gra(cid:373) negati(cid:448)e. Dna, ribosomes, cytoplasm, plasma membrane, thin cell wall (just 1 or 2 sheets of peptidoglycan), outer membrane (contains lipopolysaccharide) Able to defend itself against wide range of toxic molecules (i. e. lysosomes: due to outer membrane. Has built in storage compartment the periplasmic space: to make things and keep them there (i. e. molecules involved with defense molecular spikes, pili (?)) Resistant to osmotic lysis (due to outer membrane) Wide range of pleasing shapes to choose from. Requires bigger genome to make more complex (outer) cell wall expensive to maintain. Helicobacter pylori shown to be involved with most cases of stomach ulcers/cancers. Special option the (cid:858)wa(cid:454)(cid:455)(cid:859) model mycobacterial cell envelope. Most complex of all bacterial cell envelopes: mycobacteria most famous are m. tuberculosis & Difficult to treat due to thick cell. Easy to be contaminated; takes long to culture.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers