FRHD 3070 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Simple Random Sample, Snowball Sampling, Experience Sampling Method

10 views8 pages

Document Summary

Need representative samples in order to generalize results (external validity generalize small sample to larger population) Definition sampling strategy where subjective judgments play a role in selection of the sample. Convenience sampling select cases based on their availability for the study (i. e. going into a grocery store and asking whoever is around) Purposive (purposeful) get all possible cases that fit particular criteria, using various methods (i. e. purposely seek out older vs. younger participants) Quota (type of convenience sampling) get a pre-set number of cases in each of several categories that will reflect the diversity of the population using convenient methods (i. e. 5 males/5 females under 30, 10 males/10 females 30-60 etc. ) Deviant cases select cases that substantially differ from the dominant pattern. Based on probability and mathematics want to end up with a random sample. Definition sampling approaches in which every member of the population has a possibility of being included in the sample.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers