FOOD 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Soybean, Lipolysis, Rotavirus

17 views6 pages

Document Summary

Microorganisms can serve useful purposes in foods (e. g. fermentaions), or can be undesirable. Can contribute to food deterioraion or be responsible for preserving foods for years. Spoiled = deterioraion is detectable by the senses (sight, smell, taste, touch, possibly sound) Spoilage can occur as a result of chemical reacions (i. e. oxidaion of lipids), physical changes or damage (i. e. dehydraion, bruising), or growth of spoilage microorganisms. Indicaions of spoilage include: mold growth, presence of slime, discolouraion, existence of gas bubbles or gas pockets, sot, mushy texture; presence of exudate, of-odours (i. e. sulfurous, putrid, sour, alcoholic, of-lavours (i. e. biter, yeasty) Spoilage is a subjecive determinaion of undesirable quality atributes (e. g. yogurt, blue cheese, vinegar are products of manufacturing processes that promote controlled degradaion of food components to yield sensory characterisics that might be considered undesirable by some people) Spoilage is determined by sensory atributes in a home or food service seing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers