EQN 3060 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Aromatase, Luteinizing Hormone, Anabolism

49 views3 pages

Document Summary

Definition: the study of the internal secretion of hormones. Endocrine organ: ductless gland that produces a chemical to transport to target organ. Che(cid:373)i(cid:272)al (cid:373)esse(cid:374)ger produ(cid:272)ed i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e part of the (cid:271)ody, tra(cid:448)elli(cid:374)g to a(cid:374)other part of the (cid:271)ody to relay it"s message. I(cid:374)tera(cid:272)ts (cid:449)ith a target (cid:272)ell to (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ge that (cid:272)ell"s a(cid:272)ti(cid:448)ity. Cannot be transported in the blood, they travel in lymph fluid. When they reach their target organ they can diffuse directly into the cell, binding with its receptor, travelling. Produced in adrenal (on top of the kidney) and reproductive glands into the nucleus of the cell, causing the production of new proteins: transcription of the new protein takes between 6-24 hours. Because they are not made of lipids, they cannot simply diffuse across the cell membrane, thus they require a receptor and secondary messengers to access the nucleus. Inside the nucleus, the messenger releases pre-formed product.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers