POLI 279 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Illiberal Democracy, Liberal Democracy, Social Democracy

29 views2 pages

Document Summary

July 16th = democracy and democratization in the global south. 2nd midterm not cumulative, but final is cumulative. The cruel choice doctrine = should we put economic development before we liberalize politically. Liberal econ = freedom of constraints on market; liberal political = freedom of the individual. There is no uncontested definition of democracy. Procedural/minimum definition: selection of leaders through competitive elections. Substantive definition: functions as a democracy (i. e. tolerance, engagement, accountability, socioeconomic equality) = need all 8 to be considered liberal democracy with emphasis on individual. Institutions for policy-making depend on votes freedoms (vs. emancipatory democracy) Liberal democracy: representative democracy with human, civil and political rights protected by the rule of law (i. e. india) Illiberal democracy: lack of civil liberties aka hybrid regime" (i. e. iran, pakistan) Social democracy: where states address social inequality (i. e. kerala, costa. Consocial democracy: use of ethnic groups, nationalities and communities as constituencies (ake 1993, the unique case of africa democracy)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers