NURS 489 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Acromion, Rectus Femoris Muscle, Insulin Resistance

40 views4 pages

Document Summary

Kozier: pp. 903-925, (excluding intravenous medications); pp. 1209 (glycemic index) Nurses give parenteral medications intradermally (id), subcutaneously (sc), intramuscularly (im) or intravenously (iv) I(cid:374)suli(cid:374) sy(cid:396)i(cid:374)ge: has a (cid:862)u(cid:374)it(cid:863) s(cid:272)ale desig(cid:374)ed fo(cid:396) i(cid:374)suli(cid:374). (cali(cid:271)(cid:396)ated o(cid:374) a (cid:1005)(cid:1004)(cid:1004)-unit scale: correct choice of syringe is based on the amount of insulin required. Tuberculin syringe: designed to administer tuberculin as in ppd (purified protein derivative) testing for tuberculosis. Can also be used for paediatric doses because it is so small (calibrated for tenths and hundredths of mm) Are made of stainless steel and are disposable. A needle has 3 parts: the hub, which fits onto the syringe, the cannula or shaft, which is attached to the hub and the bevel which is the slanted part of the tip of the needle. Needles used for injections have 3 variable characteristics: slant or length of the bevel. (may be short or long, longer provide the sharpest needles, cause less discomfort, and are used for sub-q and intramuscular injections.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers