GRST 321 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Permanent Mold Casting, Metalworking, Lost-Wax Casting

39 views3 pages

Document Summary

Metallurgy iron working: fu(cid:396)(cid:374)aces i(cid:374) the a(cid:374)cie(cid:374)t (cid:449)o(cid:396)ld could(cid:374)"t get hot e(cid:374)ough to e(cid:454)t(cid:396)act li(cid:395)uid i(cid:396)o(cid:374) out of i(cid:396)o(cid:374) o(cid:396)es. When we do the smelting process we get something called iron bloom slag like lump full of impurities that need to be driven out. Iron bloom: needs to be further processed to get iron out. Repeatedly heated, taken out, and hammered: annealing: repeatedly heating any metal and allowing it to cool as it is hammered. Helps to align the particles in the metal and makes it better to work. Iron was never a metal that could be poured, it was always worked (hammered and stuff) Casting: heating metal and pouring it into a mould or cast: one-piece (open) moulds, two-piece (closed) moulds, moulds with disposable inserts, cire-pe(cid:396)due (cid:894)(cid:862)lost (cid:449)a(cid:454)(cid:863)(cid:895) casti(cid:374)g. One-piece moulds: mould could be a hollow in the sand or made from clay, disadvantage is that one side of the object made in a one-piece mould will be flat.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers