AUIDS 276 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Academic Journal, Environmental Psychology

33 views4 pages
Natasha Mutize
Journal Submission #2
Enviro-Psych 344
October 6,2016
The topic I will tackling in my journal submissions is on how study spaces can influence
the behaviour of a person, specifically, their information retaining abilities, study patterns and
their social behaviour. The social norms suggest that one can succeed academically if their
frequent the library setting. In my journals I am going to research and see if other articles and
publications support or refute this claim.
The argument raised in the article Forget What You Know About Good Study Habits by
the reporter by Benedict Carey of the New York Times is that the more abstract and busy an
environment is, the better it is for studying. Cognitive scientists have found out that instead of
stikig i oe loatio he studig, sipl alteratig the roo ad spae oe’s retetio
abilities can be improved. The brain is able to make subtle associations what it is studying and
its background environment. By forcing the brain to make multiple association with different
elements of the environment, the information will have more of the neural scaffold. The
environment that we study in definitely influence the ways in which we absorb information.
According to the article, the brain is an organ that is functioning 24/7 and the more challenges
and exercise it gets, the better it will get when it comes to cognitive functions as information
retention. There is a clear connection betee eiroetal psholog theor ad Care’s
media article, credible sources, researchers and psychology journals, are used as reference to
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The topic i will tackling in my journal submissions is on how study spaces can influence the behaviour of a person, specifically, their information retaining abilities, study patterns and their social behaviour. The social norms suggest that one can succeed academically if their frequent the library setting. In my journals i am going to research and see if other articles and publications support or refute this claim. Cognitive scientists have found out that instead of sti(cid:272)ki(cid:374)g i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e lo(cid:272)atio(cid:374) (cid:449)he(cid:374) stud(cid:455)i(cid:374)g, si(cid:373)pl(cid:455) alter(cid:374)ati(cid:374)g the roo(cid:373) a(cid:374)d spa(cid:272)e o(cid:374)e"s rete(cid:374)tio(cid:374) abilities can be improved. The brain is able to make subtle associations what it is studying and its background environment. By forcing the brain to make multiple association with different elements of the environment, the information will have more of the neural scaffold. The environment that we study in definitely influence the ways in which we absorb information.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers