POL 314 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: John Harsanyi, Sequential Game, Strategic Thinking

10 views3 pages

Document Summary

Instrumental rationality is applicable but the players must take into account how other rational players set their goals, and how they intend to achieve them: this kind of strategic thinking is as old as warfare, of course. Military leaders have acted strategically since antiquity (napoleon, hannibal, etc. : the first game theorists, strategic thinking is not new. The mathematician ernest zermelo (1871-1953) proved that any game of chess must (theoretically) always have one solution anticipating the notion of equilibrium (i. e. , in pure theory white cannot lose): the big bang: j. Von neumann & o. morgenstern"s the theory of games & economic behavior (1944): jvn had already formulated the maximin theorem in 1928 (i. e. , solution to zero-sum games). A few definitions: incomplete info means that the players do not know the strategy set of their opponents (i. e. , the rules of the game are not fully known).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers