HSCI 212 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Columbian Exchange, Total Fertility Rate, Diminishing Returns

32 views2 pages

Document Summary

Compare over time changes to: world population levels, population density, and life expectancy. Use worldmapper. org to look at demographic trends. Tate malthus" predictio(cid:374)s o(cid:374) populatio(cid:374)s, and what he failed to predict. Predicted: human populations would continue to grow geometrically. Food production would grow arithmetically, due to diminishing marginal returns. Reality: i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)t of i(cid:374)dustrial re(cid:448)olutio(cid:374) o(cid:374) food produ(cid:272)tio(cid:374). (cid:862)ope(cid:374)i(cid:374)g(cid:863) of (cid:374)e(cid:449) lands (eg. north and south. List four stages and four criticisms of demographic transition theory. Stage 1: preindustrial society high and unstable birth and death rates; population growth rate slow; importance of children; low life expectancy. Stage 2: early industrial society high birth rates; falling death rates; high population growth. Stage 3: late industrial society low death rates; falling birth rates; high population growth. Stage 4:post industrial society low birth and death rates; low population growth. Population = (t + n) population(t) + (births deaths) + (in out migrants) The higher the income, the lower the population growth.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers